Friday 22 January 2016

Genre

1. How does your video fit the conventions of its genre? 

Okay, because my genre is classified as Hip-Hop it has that typical scenario of the vocalist performing in-front of the camera(s). In that sense it fits really well with its genre. However, my music video in specific breaks the stereotypical boundaries of Hip-Hop music videos. In other words, It doesn't have the vocalist looking all glamorous. Taking into account of what the song is about its only natural that it doesn't involve the semantic accessories. This includes ladies dressed inappropriately shaking their backsides, flaunting of money and expensive vehicles used for the background. My music video does in-fact have girls but the girls aren't being represented as sexual objects. They aren't wearing inappropriate clothing for the topic and if they were then that would fit extremely well with the conventions of the Hip-Hop genre. Moreover, the sorts of props that was used in my music video such as eggs was to show the realism of bullying and how its not just a fantasy placed in a lot of media texts. As for lighting I solely focused on natural lighting for the narrative and some parts of the performance. There is a particular scene that plays through in my music video which was shot at night time and it was pretty insane because we had portable lighting and some sort of gas released whilst the vocalist was performing. So there is a mixture of elements involved in my music video and in one hand you can say that yes it does fit with its genre but also it doesn't.

Are there any aspects of your plan that are borrowed from other genres? If so, what is the thinking behind this?

No there aren't any aspects borrowed from other genres in specific. However, the idea of creating awareness of bullying came after watching a Korean school drama called Who Are You: School 2015 in mid 2015 which is still now such an amazing piece of work. That Korean drama inspired me but also annoyed me. The fact that it annoyed me was what really fired me up to make a project about creating awareness of bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment